Manager, Back-end Developer
Headquarters: Decatur, IL
Position: Back-end Developer (Manager)
Employment type: Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: Senior Web Developer
EdReports is at the forefront of the curriculum reform movement. By increasing the capacity of educators to identify and demand the highest quality curriculum, EdReports is both disrupting a multibillion-dollar market and transforming the way students are taught and ultimately perform. With the firm belief that what is taught matters and that all students deserve high-quality materials, EdReports publishes free, online, evidence-rich reviews of instructional materials.
Purpose of Position
We are looking for an analytical, results-driven Back-end Developer who will work with team members to troubleshoot and improve our primary products: the EdReports website and APIs. The Back-end Developer will use their understanding of programming languages and tools to analyze current codebases and industry developments, formulate more efficient processes, solve problems, and create a more seamless experience for users and fellow developers. Our ideal candidate is a combination of project manager, strategic thinker, and strong communicator who can support our organizational goal of ensuring all school districts, particularly those supporting our most underserved students, are reached. This individual thrives on writing clean, well-documented, reusable, and highly organized code.
Website and Systems Management - 75%
- Support the administration of EdReports’ systems: website—including our Reports CMS (Java, Google Cloud Platform) and website CMS (WordPress)—and API (Java, Google Cloud Endpoints);
- Create quality mockups and prototypes;
- Assist the Senior Web Developer with coding and troubleshooting; collaborating with the Front-end Developer and other team members to establish objectives and design more functional, cohesive code to enhance the user experience;
- Ensure quality delivery of software through thorough testing and reviews;
- Compile and analyze data, processes, and code to troubleshoot problems and identify areas for improvement;
- Develop ideas for new programs, products, or features by monitoring industry developments and trends;
- Analyze multiple data sources and identify gaps in organizational data, working collaboratively to determine solutions;
- Support and contribute to the implementation of a five-year roadmap for improvements and optimizations to EdReports’ website and other consumer-facing online properties;
- Write functional requirement documents and specifications;
- Contribute to monthly and quarterly key performance indicator summaries as needed;
- Participate in continuing education and training to remain current on best practices, learn new programming languages and frameworks, and better assist other team members.
Communications Coordination & Organizational Engagement - 25%
- Work closely with the Marketing and Communications Team to develop and execute content and campaigns;
- Create and share internal documentation outlining communications guidelines (e.g. user flows), “how-to” resources, and other mechanisms to ensure efficiency and high performance of systems;
- Partner with colleagues across the organization to build relationships, collaborate effectively, and inform content;
- Participate in cross-org events and opportunities, e.g. staff meetings, committees, working groups, and brownbag lunch and learns.
- National travel will occur related to organizational needs and for professional learning. The amount of travel will be monitored to ensure it is appropriate for both the organization and the Back-end Developer role.
- Passion for the EdReports’ mission and vision;
- Experience should include:
- 3+ years of experience with Java;
- 2+ years of experience with software design, implementation, and testing;
- 2+ years of experience with using best practices and design patterns for writing clean, reusable, and highly organized code;
- Familiarity with PHP strongly preferred;
- Familiarity with Google Cloud Platform preferred;
- Knowledge of data structures and algorithms and how things fit together with modular design;
- Experience working in a startup preferred: resourceful, creative, self-directed, comfortable working with uncertainty;
- Proficiency with the Git version control system;
- Ability to solve problems and adapt quickly to emerging software and web development trends;
- Degree in computer science preferred, but not required.
| Framing/planning the work | Plans and effectively organizes more complex projects and tasks; Identifies and sets contingencies for possible roadblocks
| Timeliness | Usually meets deadlines or delivers early; Assesses if a roadblock will delay deadline and communicates any changes as needed; and Proactively communicates.
| Quality of work products | Work products (e.g. reports, documents, files, etc.) are consistently audience-ready and accurate.
| Ability to adjust | Demonstrates ability to adapt to changing circumstances Understands that the job sometimes encompasses a broader range of activities than the formal job description
| Openness | Able to thoughtfully consider new ideas and different perspectives; Encourages individuals with different perspectives to share.
| Team-orientation | Focuses on accomplishing organizational goals rather than a personal agenda; and Willing to take on additional tasks as needed to achieve shared objectives.
| Collaboration | Actively participates as a team member and shows willingness to contribute and be open to feedback; and Is sought out by others as a collaborator on projects.
| Verbal/Written communication | Participates comfortably in small group meetings, contributing where appropriate; and, Communicates messages concisely; Consistently adjusts style and tone to suit the target audience.
| Inquiry and listening | Listens to others attentively; and, Correctly interprets messages and responds appropriately.
| Valuing diversity | Demonstrates understanding that differences among team members contribute value to the environment; and Proactively considers ways to increase diverse viewpoints and representation across our work.
| Advancing diversity and inclusion | Demonstrates awareness and understanding of own biases; and Offers observations about cultural proficiency within the organization.
| Learning orientation | Takes initiative to expand knowledge and skills for self and colleagues; Often thinks about ways to perform duties more effectively; Regularly reflects on challenging situations as opportunities to identify learning opportunities; and Engages others in reflection.
| Seeking, providing, and using feedback | Often seeks feedback to improve; and, Engages in discussions about new ways to do work
| Gathering and interpreting data | Develops an understanding of what data needs to be gathered; and, Able to read and interpret data
| Executing decisions | Identifies when to own the decision and when to include others; Draws upon data, best practices, or specific job expertise to make timely decisions; Effectively gathers input from stakeholders; and, Effectively explains the rationale for decisions
Including, but not limited to standing and sitting for long periods of time; speaking loudly and clearly; seeing and hearing things both near and far away; and reaching, stooping, kneeling, and fine-finger and hand manipulation in use of a computer, chalkboard, dry erase board, or projector. Employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as preparing and analyzing data and figures, transcribing, viewing a computer terminal, and extensive reading.
The salary for this position is $78,000 - $85,000 annually. At EdReports, in determining a final salary for a position, we consider the role and the experience and skill needed while striving to maintain equity in our compensation bands. For this and other reasons, our salary offers are non-negotiable.
Interested and qualified applicants are required to submit a resume and cover letter.
To apply: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/edreports-org-manager-back-end-developer