Engineering Manager (Fintech/API)
- Posted : 3 weeks ago
We help empower companies to build their own unique payroll service. On top of our easy-to-use payroll API, we are pioneering an all-inclusive tax engine to democratize a broken and cumbersome process providing accessibility to small, medium, and large businesses and helping Americans get paid.
Backed by over $18 million in funding from top investors such as Y Combinator, Spark Capital (Marqeta, Coinbase, Affirm), and Robinhood's Founder; Vlad Tenev, we are projected to be a forerunner in embedded payroll with an industry amassing billions of dollars in untapped revenue.
Our mission is to empower companies to become their own fin-tech company using our simple, seamless, and forward-thinking payroll technology and we'd love to learn more about you and how you could be a fit for our growing team!
This role is open to remote with a few company-sponsored trips per year at our office in San Francisco!
About the role
We are looking for an operationally focused Engineering Manager who gets excited about adding structure and organizing engineering standards and quality. Do you often find yourself thinking of faster, more efficient ways of organizing stand-ups, planning, and retros this may be the role made for you! As an Engineering Manager here at Zeal, you will work closely with our leadership team to build an amazing engineering function that will help Zeal scale 🚀
Some things you may be working on
- This role will manage our taxes and API teams including 4-5 engineers and looking to scale
- Own the entire software development lifecycle with a focus on automation and documentation
- Build and improve upon the existing sprint structure with a focus on planning, retros, as well as managing Product expectations
- Create and distill frameworks in collaboration with Staff Engineers and Product Managers on areas such as engineering standards, testing, measuring quality, timelines, estimates, and roadmapping
- Support the engineering team through mentorship and guidance and help with task management and completion
- Act as the technical advocate to other departments breaking down complex concepts to non-technical audiences and departments to help become the bridge between engineering and other teams
- Work with leadership to own escalations and incidents and provide a strong bias towards action to provide a great user experience to all of Zeal’s clients
- Collaborate with recruiting in building out a world-class interviewing process that is fair, unbiased, and overall creates Zeal brand advocates with candidates
- 4+ years of software engineering experience, Senior Software Engineer and above preferred or equivalent
- Ideally about 2+ years of management experience but if you have less we encourage you to apply!
- Experience building out Engineering processes at a growing startup
- Been a technical advocate for engineering teams to the greater organization
- Superb communication and project management skills
- Experience being an empathetic leader + value working in a diverse and collaborative environment
- Prior experience building levels, and career paths and orchestrating equitable performance reviews for engineers
- Experience working in payroll or fintech software development
- Experience working with APIs
We are a tight-knit, inclusive community that is into music 🎵, cocktails 🍹, pets 🐈🐕, ping-pong 🏓 and above all else ~ high-quality espresso ☕ but more importantly we value championing for our staff to bring their authentic true selves to work and aim to provide a fun and collaborative work environment for everyone!
- 🩺 100% health coverage premium paid by the company; vision, dental
- 💸 Generous salary and equity for all staff
- 🪟 10-year equity option exercise window for all employees
- 🪜 401k option; helping you save for the future
- 💳 Monthly benefits stipend to use for lunch, commuting, and other essentials
- 📸 Free professional headshot for your LinkedIn
- 🕺🏼 Weekly Happy Hour and lots of Events (board games, trivia, bowling, VR, golfing, hiking)
- 👏 Company Wide Offsite every year (2022 was Sonoma and Napa 🍷)
- 🦓 Awesome Swag
Our interview process
This is our process for most of our roles, but sometimes stages are subject to change from time to time, but we will definitely notify you of the change ahead of time.
- Step 1: Chat with our recruiter
- Step 2: Chat with the hiring manager
- Step 3: Paid Take-Home Assignment
- Step 4: Presentation/Final Interview with the team
After a few days to 1 week, we will get back to you with a decision
Our compensation & philosophy
The range for this role is between $175-200k for California-based candidates
Our company (Puzzl Group, aka Zeal) is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.