Senior Backend Engineer
Headquarters: Durham, North Carolina
Teamworks, the Operating System for Sports™, powers more than 6,000 sports organizations worldwide, including collegiate athletic departments and teams across all major professional leagues. With 300 exceptional employees in ten different countries, Teamworks’ software solutions drive the operations of the most recognizable sports properties in the world.
We are looking for a senior technical contributor with extensive backend development experience. Ideal candidates are ready to deliver code and excited to lead alongside their peers. This role will directly support the future of sports software on our Hub product line.
Hub is Teamworks’ flagship product, an all-in-one solution that streamlines communication, scheduling, and collaboration for athletes and team staff. Engineers on the Hub team are highly technical people producing innovative and powerful tools to enable athletes, coaches, and staff to do their best work.
Hub’s scale and reach include:
- 3.4 million sessions in the last 30 days across web, iOS, and Android applications.
- 535 million messages sent to date.
- 12 million messages sent monthly.
- 2.2 million calendar events were scheduled last month.
- Users in 130 countries.
- Users spend a combined 5.4 million minutes per week in Teamworks.
This role is an excellent opportunity for the right candidate to pioneer the next frontier in sports technology and to contribute to the continued rapid scaling of one of the fastest-growing companies in sports tech.
- Collaborate with product designers and product managers to plan solutions that can be developed efficiently and meet end-users’ needs.
- Build REST APIs for external systems to fetch data from Hub.
- Support webhooks to enable third-party applications to remain in-sync after updates in Teamworks.
- Participate in all stages of the software development lifecycle.
- Engage and empower the team through mentorship, delegation, and collaboration.
- Design and implement quality, well-tested, and scalable APIs and web/mobile applications.
- Identify performance bottlenecks and improve software efficiency.
- Troubleshoot, debug, maintain, and improve existing software.
- Python Flask and FastAPI applications (REST/GraphQL).
- Relational databases and ORMs (SQLAlchemy/PostgreSQL).
- Asynchronous tasks/queues and pub/sub messaging (Redis/Celery/RabbitMQ).
- Building and integrating microservices and monolithic applications.
- CI/CD tooling.
- Experience with test driven development and object oriented design.
- General understanding of scalable cloud infrastructure (AWS).
- Efficient communication style, both verbal and written.
- Takes initiative, proactively manages multiple priorities, and works well under pressure.
- Analytical, creative thinker, and strategic problem-solver.
- Delivers carefully thought-out, high-quality results at a high throughput.
- Structured, organized, and efficient work style.
- Aligned with our core values: honesty, humility, hard work, commitment, innovation, and exceptionalism.
What we offer:
- A role in shaping the future of sports, and a career that grows as the company grows.
- An exceptional culture of high achievement and teamwork.
- Supportive and humble colleagues who are some of the top problem solvers and innovators in the industry.
- Financial security through competitive compensation and incentives.
- A comprehensive benefits plan, including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, and a 401K with match.
- Unlimited paid time off.
- Company equity.
- Additional educational budget that can be used for courses, conferences, and other options.
Founded in 2006, Teamworks started out as a messaging platform supporting collegiate football teams. Since then, we have raised five institutional rounds of funding totaling over $165M. Our B2B SaaS product offerings have grown to solve complex operational workflows involving communications, scheduling, data collection, rules compliance, and other issues specific to elite athletics. In addition to providing the premier operations platform serving the sports industry, we’ve also built or acquired the top solutions for Athlete Academic success (Retain), Alumni Engagement (Communities), Athlete Experience (Pulse), Compliance Services (ARMS), Name, Image, and Likeness (INFLCR), Sports Performance & Nutrition (Notemeal), Recruiting (Whistle), and Human Performance (Smartabase). Our product suite continues to grow, and we are the preeminent tech provider serving top-tier athletic organizations.
Our offices in Durham, NC, Brisbane, AUS, Reading, UK, Birmingham, AL, Broomfield, CO, Boston, MA and Richmond, VA are open for work, collaboration, and optional team-building events – but we have team members who live in Washington, Florida, New York, and everywhere in between. Attendance is 100% optional, even for team members who live right down the road.
Teamworks is an equal opportunity employer - if you live our core values every day and are honest, hardworking, humble, committed, innovative, and an all-around exceptional person, you'll thrive at Teamworks. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce and take affirmative action to not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, veteran or military status, or any other legally protected characteristics. This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, promotion, termination, compensation, benefits, and training. Teamworks is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities who need assistance during the hiring process. To request a reasonable accommodation, please email [email protected].
To all recruitment agencies: Teamworks does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Teamwork employees or any other organization location. Teamworks is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
To apply: https://weworkremotely.com/remote-jobs/teamworks-senior-backend-engineer-1