Software Engineer, Backend (PHP)
- Posted : 2 weeks ago
At Blueground, our vision is to make people feel at home wherever they choose to live. For us, that means ensuring our guests have the peace of mind, flexibility & confidence they need to explore life’s latest adventure.
We’ve grown a lot since our founding in 2013, having raised more than $258m+ in funding, to date -- and that’s just the beginning. We’re now hosting guests in more than 11,000 homes in 30 cities around the world (and growing!), with an aim to hit 50 cities by 2025.
Our vision comes to life through our ways of working. For our 1,100+ member team located across 16 countries, we’ve created a culture of collaboration, inclusiveness, and opportunity.
We believe our people should have the power to choose their preferred way to work. Depending on the role’s requirements, team members can choose to work full time in one of our offices, work fully remote, or choose a hybrid model between the two.
We are driven by our core values. To our team, Time is our most important resource. Excellence isn’t simply a standard, but an exciting way to look at life. We Care deeply about our guests and colleagues. Our relationships are built around Transparency, which builds trust and improves communication.
We’re shaping the future of living, and we want you to be part of that journey.
We are looking for a backend Software Engineer to join our Engineering team. The person in this role will work on the core services of one of several high-impact product initiatives we'll be launching in 2023. They will do so with a well-established development methodology, a robust CI pipeline, solid engineering practices, and challenging requirements.
- PHP 7/8
- Rest | GraphQL
Our code sits on Github, is integrated through Jenkins pipelines, and runs on AWS EC2 & Lambda.
What you'll do
- Build a booking engine
- Participate in SCRUM ceremonies
- Code services and APIs
- Write your unit tests
- Automate stuff. Like a lot.
- Be religious with Git
- Depend on a CI pipeline
- Experiment, learn, and have fun
What to expect
- To work in agile, cross-functional, DevOps-enabled teams
- To work on functional and non-functional testing
- To work on performance
- To get your head around a quite big problem domain
- To solve hard problems
- To enjoy some quality engineering
- A rapidly growing company
- Opportunities to do full stack or go polyglot if interested (e.g. Python or Go)
- Cool colleagues :)
- Behavioral Dialogue with Talent Acquisition Team (30m)
- Live Challenge: Evaluating Coding Skills (90m)
- Tech Dialog: CS, Databases, PHP, System design (90m)
- Executive Dialogue (optional): Leadership and Power Skills (30m)
What to expect at the technical interview?
You will be called to have a long discussion with your future team members. This discussion will cover many things from CS fundamentals to the latest coding trends. So we encourage you to do a quick refresh on topics like data structures, algos, and runtime complexity as well as core concepts of your primary language (e.g. Java or Python). We will also try to tackle some real-world software design problems together as we do every other day. It may sound scary but it's really not. We want you to succeed.
- Industry experience in software development
- Strong CS background
- Expert knowledge of PHP
- Keeping up with the latest developments while being pragmatic
- Strong background in relational databases and SQL
- Experience in Symfony and Doctrine
- Experience in designing REST APIs
- Testing mindset and an eye for clean code
- Really comfortable with Git
- Excellent communication in English
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science or a related subject
- Bonus: experience with JVM languages like Kotlin
- Bonus: knowing your way around the *nix shell
- Bonus: experience with binary APIs (Protocol Buffers, Avro, etc)
- Competitive salary
- Blueground Stock Option Plan
- Flexible paid time off
- Enhanced parental leave
- Flexible work environment through our Blueground Nomads employee mobility program
- Complimentary accommodation in Blueground locations. Think summer in LA and winter in Dubai!
- Phone reimbursement
- Commuting reimbursement
- Private healthcare plan
At Blueground we are proud to have Diversity and Inclusion at the centre of everything we do. We are committed to Equal Employment Opportunity regardless of race, colour, national origin, ethnicity, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or religion.
For more information on Blueground, visit us at www.theblueground.com. To keep up with Blueground news, follow us on LinkedIn, Instagram and Tik Tok!