UI Designer / Developer (Rails)
- Posted : a month ago
Zipline is 100% remote and accepts applicants from Canada, US & internationally.
Do you enjoy building what you design?
Want to do meaningful design AND development work at a mission-driven company, and have a real impact on the lives of millions of people working in retail? As a hybrid UI Designer / Developer at Zipline you will do just that - solving exciting and interesting problems that help retail workers keep their day on track.
At Zipline, our mission is to bring retail operations out of the dark ages and give companies effective tools that their employees love to use. You will help improve the way that this 4.4 trillion dollar industry communicates with its store employees and save them from sad, slow, inefficient systems (think fax machines, voicemails, and the postal service). People deserve better! We need your help to make this happen.
We are a well-funded market leader and have great customers, but there is so much more to do and improve. We are looking for another hybrid UI Designer / Developer to collaborate daily with product, design, and engineering to drive ideas and features from concept to execution to launch - all while testing, prototyping, and honing the experience to ensure it sets a high bar for quality and is something our customers will love. You will dive deep into parts of the Zipline product, solving critical user needs, and shipping solutions to challenging problems.
The user experience matters to us and our customers (Gap Inc, Allbirds, Lululemon, LEGO, and many more), and we want you to be part of shaping that!
- Work cross-functionally with Product, Design, and Engineering to design and build high-quality experiences that our customers will love.
- Tackle projects from inception to completion - from designs to flows to prototypes to builds - constantly iterating on scope, UI, edge cases, and polish.
- Participate in user research to better understand customer needs and gather feedback on concepts and solutions.
- Solicit feedback from your teammates and colleagues on the effectiveness of your ideas and solutions.
- Balance short-term execution inspired by long-term direction, always thinking about how we can iterate on and improve our product over time.
- Demonstrate good communication and collaboration in your work - contributing to process and operational improvements as part of a remote organization.
- Promote a collaborative and inclusive environment for the team.
- 3+ years experience designing and building for desktop and mobile.
- Solid portfolio of information architecture, UI & interaction design, and working with design systems.
- Solid experience creating prototypes and builds of your designs and flows.
- Solid experience writing Ruby on Rails applications (experience with React, Elasticsearch, Flux, Redux, or similar is also valuable).
- Experience with testing, troubleshooting, and debugging practices and techniques
- Experience conducting user interviews and concept testing with customers.
- Experience developing rationale, options, and execution plans for your features.
More about you
- Retail experience is an asset, but not required.
- Experience with data visualization, or a desire to learn it, is valuable.
- Proficient in tools such as Github, Figma, Slack, Google Docs, etc.
- Ability to act with empathy and intentionality towards customers and colleagues.
- Ability to listen, understand, share, and collaborate with your teammates.
- Self-motivated, curious, and dependable.
- Stock Options
- Paid Flexible Time Off (including time off to care for family members, as well as Sick Time)
- Paid Parental Leave Benefit
- Group Health Insurance (Medical, Vision, and Dental) with a variety of PPO & HMO plans and a flexible spending account
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- 100% Paid Life and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Remote Work: Join a flexible, effective remote team and work where you’re comfortable- literally anywhere! We’ve had Zipliners join us from vans, RVs, sailboats, and AirBnBs around the globe.
- Computer accessories and office setup: There’s a science to being effective at home and we help you get there with the right equipment and accessories that you need.
- Company off-sites: Most years we come together (IRL!). Past retreats were held in Santa Cruz, New York, Mexico City, Puerto Vallarta, and Costa Rica.
- Education stipends: We believe in perpetual learning! If there’s a class that you want to take or a book that will help you expand your horizons, we’ll support it, as long as it fits within our team budgets.
- Coffee Stipend: To encourage breaks and a change of scenery, we provide a small stipend each month to get you out of the house and relax at your favorite coffee spot.
A note on our Flexible Time Off Policy - We don’t have a set number of “Days Off” at Zipline, and instead Zipliners request time off when and as they need it, under a Flexible Time Off Policy. Each request is then reviewed by your manager and a decision is made with all of the appropriate business considerations accounted for. Typically, we see Zipliners using 15-25 days per year, and it’s important to note that time off is not unlimited.
We value diversity of all kinds and are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other. We are an equal-opportunity employer and welcome people of all different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives.
Got More Time, here’s more about Zipline!
How do we work? Remotely. We have been 100% remote since the company was founded. We come together as a company every week for our Wednesdays Socials, where the topic can be a classic “Standup” format, a micro learning around burnout and mental health, followed by discussion, or a silly trivia…and anything in between! Some Fridays, we come together to learn from each other. One week it might be about opossum rescue. Another week it might be an update on our product roadmap or the results of our customer satisfaction survey. We are all expert Zoom navigators, and love the freedom of working from anywhere, using technology to connect.
With Zipline, retail employees feel more connected, understand the role they play in the brand’s mission, and can feel good about the work they’re doing. This is important to us because retail is one of America's most populous workforces but also one of the most underserved. Through Zipline, we can touch on one in four American workers whose jobs and needs are often underrepresented.
We have made incredible progress but changing the industry is hard. We are well funded by leading venture capital firms like Emergence Capital and ready to scale. We need your help to improve the way that this 4.4 trillion dollar industry communicates with its store employees. Cumbersome, slow, and inefficient systems should not be the status quo. Help us retool retail, and Keep Today on Track™